Schools of Choice
Pembina Trails students are encouraged to attend one of their “neighbourhood schools” – a school within their catchment area. However, if you wish to enrol your child in a school outside of your catchment area, or if you live outside of the Pembina Trails division and would like to register your child at one of our schools, you may submit a Schools of Choice request. Please connect directly with the school for the next steps.
Schools of Choice requests are considered by the principal and the Assistant Superintendent, Human Resources and Policy, for the school of choice. Decisions are based on provincial guidelines and students are enrolled in the following order of priority:
- students living in the school’s catchment area
- students living in the division, but outside of the school’s catchment area
- students living in another division
Acceptance to attend a school of choice also is influenced by:
- school population, available space and resources
- the date of application (applications are processed by the date received)
Please note, that as of December 2018, there has been a change in our French Immersion Schools of Choice practice. Learn more here.
Kindergarten Schools of Choice applications are accepted only after the school's kindergarten information evening. These dates and times vary depending on each school. View the complete list of Kindergarten Open Houses.
For all other grades, Schools of Choice application forms may be submitted immediately following the winter break, but schools cannot accept students outside of their catchment area until the end of April at the earliest. All catchment students need to be accounted for and have a place in a classroom before a principal may accept enrollment of students under Schools of Choice.
- Kindergarten Schools of Choice application forms are distributed at Kindergarten Information events.