This page contains a variety of resources to support students with preparing for the world of work. The resources below are organized by topic with links to related learning materials for your easy access.
Preparing for Work Series
These topics can help students prepare for paid employment, work experience, or volunteering. You can complete these sections in order, or by topic as appropriate. Our hope is that by the end of this video series students will have a solid foundation of the information they need to help them get hired and keep the job.
Instructions: Each section below contains a video that will guide you through the learning journey of that topic. The video should be your starting point. It will explain the process you will follow.
1) Create a myBlueprint Account - This section guides students to the process of creating a free account with My Blueprint. Students will utilize this account for the following sections in the Preparing For Work series.
2) “Who Am I” Surveys – This section guides students through the Who Am I surveys in myBlueprint to learn more about themselves. Students will utilize this account in the upcoming sections in the Preparing For Work series.
3) Young Worker Readiness Certificate Course (YWRCC) – This section guides students to the Young Worker Readiness Certificate Course and the process to complete it. This instructs students how to stay safe at work.
4) Creating a Resume – Students will learn what a resume is, receive tips to writing a resume that will get them hired, and learn how to use myBlueprint to create a resume.
5) The Interview – Students are guided through a number of videos to help them prepare for an interview.
6) Choosing and Listing References - Students will learn what a reference is and how to carefully select and list appropriate references when job searching. Students are also guided through the process of assembling their own personal list of references.
7)- Students will learn the steps to job searching, gain insight into how to navigate the open and hidden job markets and learn about online services, job banks, tips and strategies to assist them with job searching and landing the job.
8) How to Keep a Job - Students will build on their understanding of the skills and attitudes required to help ensure they are able keep a job.
Specific Skills Training
The sections below focus on specific skills required across many different working environments. Each section is intended to help students learn relevant skills when entering the world of work.
The following resources are easy reading, age appropriate PDF resources from the Alberta Learning Information System website to assist you in your career planning and finding a job