Grounds Crew - Summer Students
Facilities and Operations management fosters and enriches an inviting and functional environment that welcomes and supports all who come here. Facilities management’s customers include all departments, faculty, staff, students and parents. The department’s branches work together as a team to ensure a high standard of customer service delivery, as well as the effective, efficient and safe performance for the operation, development and maintenance of divisional grounds and buildings.
Grounds crews are employed with the school division from May until the end of August. Reporting to a Grounds Supervisor, the crew workers perform routine, semi-skilled general landscape and maintenance work using the small hand tools and motorized equipment associated with the tasks up to and including a ride-on mower, small utility vehicle and light duty truck and trailers.
Beautification guidelines include:
- preparation of fields, track and grounds for athletic, extracurricular and other public events;
- lawn maintenance: cutting grass, aeration and seeding;
- assists in the maintenance and development of cultivated areas by digging, hoeing, weeding, planting, transplanting trees and shrubs, watering, fertilizing, trimming and addition of new soil;
- erects and maintains signs, goal posts and other exterior fixtures;
- line marking/painting on playing fields and parking lots;
- playground maintenance, bicycle rack maintenance and repair, landscape work orders, inventory, etc.
Safety Orientation and Job Training:
All grounds crews are required to participate in the following:
- Safety orientation - including safety policy, rules, use/storage/maintenance of personal protective equipment
- Each worker is provided with a safety bag containing: first aid kit, eyewash station, dust masks, bug spray, clip boards, band aids and cold packs, work gloves, ear muffs, disposable ear plugs, safety glasses, safety vests
- WHMIS training
- Equipment Training – safety work procedures
- Hands on equipment training with crew supervisor