Music is an important part of every student’s education. The music program at Bison Run School is fundamentally based on the Orff approach. The Orff approach to music education is based on music-learning experiences that involve speech, singing, movement, recorder playing, playing of un-pitched and pitched percussion instruments, playing of barred instruments, and listening. These music-learning experiences support the development and understanding of music literacy, creative idea development, analysis and reflection, improvisation and composition.
This holistic approached to teaching music was founded by German composer and music educator Carl Orff and developed by Gunild Keetman. Students study music from Manitoba, Canada and around the world all from various time periods.
Sing, play, move, create and explore!
- To help students develop their own individual aesthetic potential.
- To help students make and listen to music so as to form a life-long source of pleasure and personal enrichment.
- To cultivate the skills of the music discipline in order to enhance the development of music in the students.
- To provide an outlet for creativity and self-expression.
- To develop aural, visual and motor coordination.
- To help students become acquainted with music from many different cultures.
- To support students’ social development, self-awareness and self-control.