English as an Additional Language
We welcome many new students and families each new school year. In our current academic year 2016- 2017 we have 24 languages represented in our school and an EAL (English as an Additional Language) population of 44 per cent of the total school population. Since September we have been building our community connections through collaboration with Family Dynamics and Patricia Eyamba. She has been serving as settlement worker and liaison between school and community.
We continue to meet both student and family needs by:
- Providing opportunities for language learners to understand and experience Canadian culture, school activities and special events
- Providing intake and registration for newcomer families and referral to Family Dynamics
- Providing opportunities for EAL learners to gather and connect
- Facilitating the use of technology in language learning
- Developing and implementing programing for language learners