FRC Grad Awards are presented at convocation and students nominate themselves for consideration. Applications are available through the FRC website in early April. The awards committee comprised of FRC staff meets to determine recipients. Available awards are listed in your student handbook on page 19.
There are 3 main types of scholarships - prestige, general, and endowed.
- Prestige – School Nominated - For students with very rich extra-curricular involvement, demonstrated leadership skills and typically an average of 90% or greater. Speak to your counsellor if you wish to be considered for nomination by the school.
- General Entrance - Awarded on the basis of your graduation average. No application required.
- Endowed Scholarships - Awarded to students based on special talents, locations, interests, gender, race, religion and/or affiliations. Usually involves an academic achievement component.
Parents might also inquire if their employers have scholarships available for children of employees.
Be sure to review specific eligibility requirements of each scholarship listed and only apply for the scholarships in which you qualify. Make sure you start applications early! There is often a lot of work involved in applying for scholarships, so ensure you give yourself and your references more than enough time to complete it. Adjust each application to meet the criteria which is outlined by the awarding organization or institution. Below there are a variety of external scholarships to explore. They are organized according to the month in which the application is due. Be sure to explore all months so you can be prepared well in advance of the scholarship deadline.
Additional scholarship and award opportunities are available by searching university or college websites as well. You will want to explore the financial aid and awards section of whichever institution you are applying.
· Manitoba Student Loans - https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/msa/
· Canada Student Loans - https://www.csnpe-nslsc.canada.ca/en/home
Additional websites/scholarships databases