The École Crane School Grounds Transformation Committee (SGTC) is an adjunct committee of the Parent Advisory Council. The SGTC meets on the 3rd Monday of each month during the school year, before the Parent Advisory Council meetings, to plan school grounds improvements.
- organizes the spring and fall school grounds clean-ups
- coordinates the summer watering by volunteer families
- manages fundraisers such as a plant sale in the spring and a vegetable sale in the fall
- submits applications for grants and other public funds
- awards contracts and oversees contractor work on the school grounds
- supports staff initiatives such as student vegetable gardening, composting, and upgrades to the kindergarten yard
The SGTC, along with a landscape architectural firm, has developed an exciting long-term plan for the École Crane school grounds. This plan focuses on key issues such as improved drainage for the school grounds, the creation of outdoor classroom space, additional play spaces and overall greening.
The SGTC’s on-going fundraising and grant applications have already provided many improvements to the school grounds, including:
- the main play structure
- a tree belt
- a hill
- natural play areas with logs and boulders
- a walking path and a footbridge
- picnic tables
- infiltration basins and swales for drainage
All parents are warmly welcomed to attend meetings. Specific information regarding meeting times is available in the monthly newsletter. Families are also encouraged to come out to the spring and fall clean-ups. It's a great opportunity to meet other members of the École Crane community while helping to maintain our school grounds.