Pembina Trails has set standards for success in literacy in order to engage our community in a shared commitment to literacy learning and to ensure success for all learners.
Literacy is the development of skills, knowledge and attitudes that prepare all learners in a changing world and community. It begins with fundamental skills in reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing, representing and responding. As students practice and develop their skills, they strengthen their ability to understand, think, apply and communicate effectively.
Our commitment to literacy means that our graduates will be able to:
- read and interpret multiple and changing texts of all forms
- locate, access and analyze information from multiple sources, including real-time communication
- think critically; questioning, responding and problem-solving
- compose and create texts, competently and effectively, for a range of audiences and purposes
- engage in asking questions and reflect on learning processes
- communicate and collaborate effectively and creatively
- contribute to society as ethical and critical producers and consumers of information
To learn more about Pembina Trails’ Standards for Success in Literacy, please download our brochure.